High Standard Sport King
Pittsburgh Tactical

Achtung T Shirt Ohio Firearms Attorney CNH Shooting Supplies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Standard Sport King

High Standard Sport King

Found a 1950s High Standard Sport King at a property I bought. Damn thing feeds like shit. Some times live bullets fly out, other times they jam up.

Been reading that it can be the magazine lips. Also couple about using plated ammo instead lead.

I have been wanting a .22 pistol cause they are so cheap. $40 a new clip isn't bad, but a waste if it doesn't work. Maybe need to clean it better. I have sprayed it with brake clean. Maybe soak it in it. Probably sitting for years. Barrel is rusted bad. They do have interchangeable barrels. If I get it to work, may look for a longer one, or just sand it and blue it myself.

Little nervous to adjust the mags. You would think they worked at one time. But dunno. Going to get different ammo first.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The man in black, fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Beware the man with one gun.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

Original Charter Member
    I'd strip it down and clean everything up real well, there's probably some rust and corrosion going on in the internals judging by your comments about barrel rust.

Then I'd try it agin. How's the bore on it look?

Bore is ok. It was in a holster. Bottom of holster rotted away, literally hole. I haven;t figured out how to get the spring out, so I just blast brake clean in there.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

I would definitely strip it and clean all the corrosion and crap outa there. A new mag would be the way to go instead of adjusting feed lips. Did you look on youtube to see if there is a video on how to get the spring out?
    View shooting through a fresh set of eyes... Take a child to the range.

Let sleeping puppies lie.

Original Charter Member Luvs2Play's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigweatherby View Post
    I would definitely strip it and clean all the corrosion and crap outa there. A new mag would be the way to go instead of adjusting feed lips. Did you look on youtube to see if there is a video on how to get the spring out?
    It's obvious he has it stripped down, I can see the bearings, screws, o-ring, and tire gauge in the picture!

He shouldn't have a problem getting her running then, as long as he has a working tire gauge. That is the key.

I read that you should use high velocity ammo for the sake of the gun and feeding. I noticed the Winchester I was using yesterday was HV, and CCI that ran a little better was standard. So I am going to get some plated standard velocity and see how that goes.

Below is from High Standard's website.

22 Long Rifle

All magazines are gauged to be under .360 wide. However, if you receive a magazine that is wider than .360., you can easily correct this with the use of a dial caliper and a pair of pliers or vise grips.
    Magazine feeding is very sensitive to the particular ammunition that is being used. Due to the wide variance in ammunition specifications, the width of the magazines feed lips must be adjusted for the particular target ammunition to be used to obtain maximum reliability.
    The basic dimensions should be .230 wide for the rear of the front lips and .185 wide for the front of the rear lips. The front and rear lips should also be kept parallel.
    Magazines should always be kept clean and well oiled.

NOTE: 1. The .230 dimension is fairly constant for all ammunition. The .185 dimension should be increased if the bullets are feeding too low, and it should be decreased if the bullets are feeding too high. This adjustment can be accomplished with tools like needle nose pliers. You can also make your own tool with a piece of 1/4 in.1/2 in. flat stock by sawing a slot in the end. 2. Due to the overall length of some 22LR match ammunition, it will be impossible to get it to feed ten (10) rounds properly.

CAUTION: 1. The magazine lips are heat-treated and will break if they are bent too much at one time. 2. Magazine feed lips may drag on slide feed rail if decreased in width too much.

Contact us with any problems or concerns about adjusting your magazine or send it to us to adjust.

High Standard has designed a tool to adjust magazines, please call us.

Thats the first time I have ever seen the manufacturer recommending the bending of feed lips.

Original Charter Member
    That would be a first for me as well. But, I guess they have a reason for it.....

Thread Information